2 cups plain flour
Pinch of salt
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tbsp butter
1/2 cup milk (to start with - might need an extra 1/4 cup or so)
1 tbsp molasses
- Whisk or sift the flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and pumpkin pie spice into a bowl and mix it all together. (Originally the recipe calls for mixed spice, but pumpkin pie spice seems to be more readily available here and is almost identical)
- Chop the butter into pieces and rub it into the mixture with your hands until you have a uniformly crumbly mix.
- Pour the milk into a separate bowl and then mix the tablespoon of molasses into it so you have a concoction of... brown semi-sweet milk.
- Pour that into the dry ingredients and mix it together to get a soft cohesive but not sticky dough - add more milk if needed to stick it all together.
- Slap that on to a baking sheet, roll it out to half an inch thick, cut it up and bake for 12 to 15 minutes. You can roll it out and use a biscuit-cutter on it if you want, but I just use a pizza wheel to separate it into wedges.
- I did some icing with icing sugar, milk and more molasses, but it didn't work out very well. You can try if you like.